Each State has its own version of laws relating to residential rentals. The diagram below shows Federal laws are the foundation and take precedence. This lesson covers the State legislation.
This lesson summarizes some key landlord-tenant laws applicable to residential rental units. Landlord-tenant laws are always changing, and may even vary from county to county. You have a responsibility to perform your own research and cautiously apply the laws to your unique situation. If you have a legal question or concern, you should contact a licensed attorney referral service that is operated by the state bar association. This lesson is not intended to be exhaustive or a substitute for qualified legal advice.
Landlord and Tenant legislation – Wisconsin
Here are 3 excellent explanations of the Wisconsin Landlord Tenant Laws:
2019 Wisconsin Statutes & Annotations
Chapter 704. Landlord and tenant.
- 704.01 Definitions.
- 704.02 Severability of rental agreement provisions.
- 704.03 Requirement of writing for rental agreements and termination.
- 704.05 Rights and duties of landlord and tenant in absence of written agreement to contrary.
- 704.055 Disposition of personalty left by trespasser.
- 704.06 Water heater thermostat settings.
- 704.07 Repairs; untenantability.
- 704.08 Check-in sheet.
- 704.085 Credit and background checks.
- 704.09 Transferability; effect of assignment or transfer; remedies.
- 704.10 Electronic delivery.
- 704.11 Lien of landlord.
- 704.13 Acts of tenant not to affect rights of landlord.
- 704.14 Notice of domestic abuse protections.
- 704.15 Requirement that landlord notify tenant of automatic renewal clause.
- 704.16 Termination of tenancy for imminent threat of serious physical harm; changing locks.
- 704.165 Termination of tenancy at death of tenant.
- 704.17 Notice terminating tenancies for failure to pay rent or other breach by tenant.
- 704.19 Notice necessary to terminate periodic tenancies and tenancies at will.
- 704.21 Manner of giving notice.
- 704.22 Service of process in residential tenancy on nonresident party.
- 704.23 Removal of tenant on termination of tenancy.
- 704.25 Effect of holding over after expiration of lease; removal of tenant.
- 704.27 Damages for failure of tenant to vacate at end of lease or after notice.
- 704.28 Withholding from and return of security deposits.
- 704.29 Recovery of rent and damages by landlord; mitigation.
- 704.31 Remedy on default in long terms; improvements.
- 704.40 Remedies available when tenancy dependent upon life of another terminates.
- 704.44 Residential rental agreement that contains certain provisions is void.
- 704.45 Retaliatory conduct in residential tenancies prohibited.
- 704.50 Disclosure duty; immunity for providing notice about the sex offender registry.
- 704.90 Self-service storage facilities.
- 704.95 Practices regulated by the department of agriculture, trade and consumer protection.